Sunday, September 14

Ballet Lesson 1

Hello.

I am not going to lie. My body aches like hell. I had to foam roll my legs and all that... My father asks why I want to do "such things".. By this, I am pretty sure he is referring to me learning ballet as an adult. Well, because, I want to see if I can. I have always found it so graceful, so technically challenging, interesting.. Well. That's reason enough isn't it?

I am reminded of the time I really wanted to try ballet classes, last year, and how the lady who owned the studio asked if I would like to try contemporary instead (yes, I bought a groupon). She said it would be less challenging, and that I may find it better.. Truth is, she just wanted to fit me into an existing class, rather than to open a class for me specially. I mean, sure, it was a good business move, but ultimately, I shoved the dream aside (hey, dance IS dance, and I haven't tried contemporary, so I wasn't going to write it off!). But now, here I am.



So today's session was a class full of other beginners: some who were returning to ballet, some who had completely no background.

It was mostly drills, and barre work. We did tendus, plies, learnt how to do the arms and legs in the different positions, ronds de jambe, fondu (I am feeling hungry already), releve, battement.. Foreign terms, no doubt, but they are slowly becoming more familiar to me.

And as I was doing my tendues, I kept thinking in my head, "Make Sarah* proud!" and truly, halfway, the teacher came around and said I have nice tendues. WOOTS. Glory moment.

*the teacher who taught me contem for a year before she went back to Aussie, and I felt like REALLY, no one cared. By no one I mean the studio management. Haha.

So there were about 20 of us, females of various ages, with one exception of a man/boy who came with his girl friend. The oldest lady seemed to be around 50 thereabouts, and she looked like she danced all her life. Or, in her youth, at least. Some were dressed rather casually, some came in leotards and tights, most with ballet shoes. I was in socks, tights and a long tee shirt which was comfortable enough. Also, thank god I brought the t-shirt as a last minute decision, because beside me, the girl who was on the barre with me WAS WEARING THE SHIRT I PLANNED TO WEAR! I mean it's not big deal, but Ok well, IT IS KINDA A BIG DEAL.

The one and a half hours passed so quickly, though I was pretty much sweating my brains out and I was cramping all over the place. But the strange thing is, it is a good kind of pain, the kind where you want to come home to practice so it doesn't hurt anymore.

Going to continue to keep up these practices, and keep training my cardio for December's climb up Mount Kinabalu.

And yes, after class today I went to Costumes Connection at Golden Landmark to get me a pair of shoes. I initially wanted the canvas ones (only $13) but the leather ones felt so much more comfortable.  Also, I wanted the full sole one, so that I would be able to train my arches.  The lady aunty at the store wasn't the friendliest, but she was helpful in helping me make my choice. It wasn't too friendly a place for you to try on leotards and stuff, but I might return some day to check it out.


Yes, you can see my shoe size here.

In the meantime, let's get through the week! :)


Love,
Sarah

No comments :

Post a Comment